thingloop

Pages

Wednesday 7 July 2010

Nathan's Story

As part of Gigantic July we are interviewing some of our users so we can share their experience of thingloop with you. We're really grateful to Nathan for taking the time to answer our questions.

Q: Why did you start using thingloop?
I started using thingloop because it seemed to me to be the solution to a lot of problems, and that in solving those problems it would definitely make my life easier.

For example, one of the reasons I started using thingloop was to help me keep track of my stuff! I have a terrible memory, and have lost several treasured articles through the years by lending them to people, forgetting who I've lent them to and never getting them back. I know I've definitely borrowed stuff and forgotten I even had it as well, which can be pretty embarrassing as it looks like you're trying to hock peoples stuff. thingloop helps keep me and the people I lend stuff to accountable. The Borrows and Loans lists in thingloop mean I'll never forget that I've borrowed someones stuff, and I'll never forget who I lent my stuff to. Problem solved.

I could also see the society-changing potential in it. People don't use all their stuff 100% of the time - lawn mowers for example get a once a week use max. If people share stuff, then they need less money to buy it. Maybe someone lost their job in the recession, or got a nasty pay cut because of cutbacks, or for whatever reason they don't have a lot of spare cash. Maybe they just need that one thing to do that one job and they can't afford to buy it or rent it. thingloop is the solution for them - they could borrow that one thing from someone who has one on thingloop totally free.

Maybe it's something simple, like they can't afford to go to the cinema, or they really want to read that book but eating takes a higher priority - with thingloop they have an entire library of films and books that they can borrow for free.

Money can become a real burden. If people need less money, it's another weight off their shoulders and an improvement to their quality of life. You can't knock that.

Q: What sort of stuff have you borrowed/lent on thingloop?
A random eclectic mix! I've borrowed books, DVDs and even a blow-up bed with foot pump! As for lending, it's been mostly books and DVDs at the moment.

I'm working on getting my tools up there because I don't use them all the time, and I know exactly how much of a nightmare it is to try and do a job without the right tool. I remember a couple of years back replacing a cistern pump with a pair of mole-grips and my (not-so) brute-strength! If only thingloop had existed then, I could have simply borrowed that wrench which the cheapest place sells for over £20!

I'm considering pushing it a bit further and lending my knowledge! Maybe I'll put up "1 Hour CSS Skills Tutorial" or something - I'm well up for sharing that too.

Q: What has been your best borrow/lend?
My best borrow has DEFINITELY been the blow-up bed!

We're not really queued up for the whole camping malarky, and we tend to take 3 duvets, a range of blankets and sheets, etc, just to try and keep some semblance of comfort whilst sleeping under canvas! The ability to go on thingloop and borrow someone's blow-up bed (with pump, no less!) was just ideal - as a result camping was way more pleasurable and much less hassle.

Q: What do you like about thingloop?
It's easy to add stuff, borrow stuff, lend stuff and keep track of stuff. It's fast and it's simple. It's intelligent - I love knowing how much I've saved by borrowing stuff! It's the answer to a lot my niggly problems - like not having the right tool. It's society changing.

Q: Would you recommend other people join?
I would absolutely recommend people join, and have done! I'm such a fan you should probably get me to tour the country doing conferences on it!

I would passionately recommend it for all the reasons I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment